2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S
For 2014 They say great things are available threes. For fans from the Can-Am Spyder RT “roadster” once saying doesn’t simply refer to the amount of wheels for this sporty touring machine. For 2014 Can-Am—a division of Bombardier Recreational Products based mostly in Valcourt, Quebec, Canada—has replaced the 998cc, 5-speed V-twin inside the RT touring version from the Spyder along with a brand new liquid-cooled, 1, 330cc transverse in-line triple along with six speeds. This engine layout is known to its torque and smoothness potential, great qualities to possess within the touring bike engine.
2014 Spyder RT Engine
Made in Austria by BRP-owned Rotax, the ACE (Advanced Combustion Efficiency) triple’s 120-degree crankshaft provides it good primary balance, as well as a gear-driven counterbalancer takes care from the secondary and rocking couple vibrations. Can-Am states it makes ninety six lb-ft of torque vs. eighty inside the V-twin, and 115 horsepower vs. 100. Not precisely eyeball-flattening within the machine which weighs a claimed 1, 012 pounds dry—about 60 pounds a lot of compared to the 2013 RT—but the curve is such that this bike has concerning 40 % a lot of low-end torque than prior to, the much better for cruising, climbing hills and carrying a passenger and gear also.too as towing a trailer.
While roll-on testing back-to-back having a 2013 RT V-twin in the 2014 launch last week in Florida showed the new RT triple isn’t appreciably quicker at lower speeds, BRP Project Leader Michael Tissier mentioned the objective was to enhance roll-on acceleration from 80-120 kph, or 50-75 mph, and there it will feel stronger and fewer busy compared to the revvier twin. The 2014 RT’s prime speed is higher, it idles lower at 900 rpm and taller gear ratios drop the rpm considerably at cruising speed. Overall the roadster’s NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) are all considerably reduced, whereas the triple’s signature exhaust note and feel provides it a powerful turbinelike quality, as a cross between a Honda Gold Wing and Triumph Rocket III. I noticed slightly of vibration cruising at 4, 100 rpm in prime sixth gear, that Tissier attributed to a few resonance coming from the belt final drive.
New Rotax 1330 ACE engine
Our best touring engine ever, the new Rotax 1330 ACE engine is configured with three in-line cylinders. It produces high-torque response in every gear and 40% more low-end torque. But torque doesn’t come at the cost of fuel economy or CO2 emissions. Ride for up to 252 miles at 62 mph (406 km at 100 km/h)* on one tank. On top of that, ride more and spend less, thanks to the low vehicle maintenance. Even the sound it makes while on the road is unique and impressive, with the in-line configuration producing a refined, seductive quality that stands out from the motorcycle crowd.
New 6-speed Transmission
You can cruise comfortably at 3,300 RPMs with the outstanding ride of this new 6-speed transmission. The new Spyder RT is optimized to deliver a smooth ride for you and your passenger, thanks to its long-ratio sixth gear and new hydraulic clutch activation system with electronic pressure control. Pass through town without downshifting. Just relax and take in the scenery.
New ECO mode smart assist
Optimize your shifting behavior with the new ECO™ mode smart assist. Combined with the fuel efficiency of the Rotax 1330 ACE engine and new 6-speed transmission, it reduces your fuel consumption on long trips.
Get 85% more power for your electronic accessories. A new total capacity of 1200 watts, instead of the previous maximum of 650 watts, lets you enjoy more accessories on your Spyder RT.
New Comfort seat
Sit back and enjoy the ride with a comfort seat complete with lumbar support. It relaxes the driver’s knees and upper body, making it perfect for all types of riders regardless of height. It’s also driver backrest ready, so a foldable, color-matched backrest can easily be added.
Refined Front design and heat management
BRP engineers made room for the new Rotax® 1330 ACE™ high-torque engine by creating a new fascia design, intensifying the RT’s unique blend of elegance and power. BRP’s engineers also improved heat management by doubling radiator capacity and moving them to the front of the A-arms – away from the rider and passenger. The fans include a reverse mode that blows hot air away from the rider when traveling at a slower speed. This ensures more comfort for both rider and passenger.
New Sachs† shocks
The Spyder RT includes new shocks from SACHS, one of the premier manufacturers in the business. These shocks build upon optimum suspension geometry and create an incredible new standard. They feature a bigger piston diameter and better damping capacity, which gives you more comfort on bumpy, backcountry roads.
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S Driver Backrest for Comfort Seat
• Enhances comfort over long hauls
• Folds to allow easy passenger access
• Removes in seconds to get back to original configuration (Also available for production seat)
Heated Comfort Seat
• Heated comfort seat with ability to slide in the new driver backrest
• Dual zone heating and individual control accessible to each user
• Dual range high/low heat setting
• Activated through stock passenger and driver heated grip controls
• Regulate passenger and driver airflow
• 3 preset positions (closed, parallel and inverted)
• Easy, tool-less click adjustment
Tri Axis Ad justable Handlebar
• State-of-the-art adjustable handlebar reduces fatigue and delivers comfort for all riders, thanks to unlimited adjustment possibilities
• 3 different axes allow you to adjust the handlebars in terms of height and width, and forward/rearward
• Left and right bars are linked together and rotate simultaneously during adjustment
• Easy Allen key adjustment system
• Handlebar reuses existing production handgrips, comodo, electrical and clutch cables, and sits directly on the stock steering column
Akrapovic Sport Touring 3C Silencer
Innovative design. First hexagonal shaped silencers that created a storm in the industry
• The best materials. Premium titanium shell construction with carbon fiber end cap and heat shield render it 55% lighter than stock silencer
• The unmistakable sound of Akrapovic: deep, resonant sound like no other
• EPA, CARB and CE certified. Rigorous measurement, testing and quality control ensure silencers meet the most stringent standards
NEW 6-SPEED TRANSMISSION
• Delivers smooth ride, thanks to the NEW hydraulic clutch activation system with electronic control
• Cruise comfortably in sixth gear at 3,300 rpm
• Gear ratios:
1st gear: 37 / 15 = 2.47
2nd gear: 32 / 17 = 1.88
3rd gear: 35 / 23 = 1.52
4th gear: 33 / 26 = 1.27
5th gear: 30 / 28 = 1.07
6th gear: 29 / 32 = 0.91
Reverse: -32 / 13 = -2.46
GREATER FUEL EFFICIENCY
• Up to 252 miles (406 km), tested at constant speed of 62 mph (100 km/h)**
NEW HEAT MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
• Radiators moved in front of the A-arms
• Cooling capacity has doubled
• Reverse fan mode blowing hot air away from the rider
LOW VEHICLE MAIN TENANCE
• Oil change at every 9,300 miles (15,000 km)
• Valve adjustment no longer required